Thank you for visiting my website, SaferClimbing.org!
My name is Masa Sakano. Here is my bio. For the description of this website, please visit "About this site". To contact me, please use the form.
- Highlands, UK
- Climbing/Mountaineering career
- Since 2000
- Main interests
- Mountaineering/Alpine climbing, Winter climbing, Trad climbing, Gill climbing
- Most memorable experiences
- Mountaineering: Éperon Frendo (Aiguille du Midi)r
- Winter: Piggott's Route new variation (Beinn Eighe, Highland)
- Trad: Valkyrie (Roaches, Peak District), Ressurection (Dinas Cromlech, North Wales), Zakuro (Brand, Leicestershire)
- Personal most significant failures (among many, many…)
- Chicken Run (Bosigran, Cornwall) — one of my worst falls on rock (completed)
- Resurrenction (Dinas Cromlech) — worst pump (completed)
- Crest Route Direct (Stob Coire nan Lochan, Glencoe) — worst winter-climbing fall (completed)
- Goulotte Charlet-Bettembourg (Aiguille du Chardonnet, Alps) — worst fall in alpine climbing (completed)
- Batian (Mt. Kenya) — off-route, stuck abseil ropes
- Grépon - Mer de Glace (Alps) — closest to death
- Patagonia — everything
- Most notable first ascents
- Winter: Binnein Shuas NW Ridge Integrale (up to Scottish IV), Central Highland
- Trad: Happy Flute (E5 6a), The Brand, Leicestershire
- Professional career
- PhD (physics)
- Worked as an astrophysicist for 17 years
- Currently looking for a way to make the ends meet as a climber…
- Best attraction of mountaineering and climbing
- For me, it is a challenge to all my integrated abilities both mentally, physically and intellectually in remote, isolated, yet breathtakingly beautiful places, with the much valued comradeship with my trusted mates.
What I am today is majorly because of my friends and climbing partners over years since the day one of my climbing till today. I owe them massively, beyond any word can describe. Thank you very very much, my friends! And I hope to share a rope with you another day!
(To contact me, please use the form.)